Need a quick but pretty dessert for your party? Try these star wands and get your little one in on the messy fun!
For the most part we’re a pretty clean-eating family, but for parties I usually go all out and reach straight for the sugar! If you follow along on my Instagram Stories you know I keep a well-stocked, secret stash of chocolates at the back of my pantry that is strictly for me. It’s totally filled with leftover Halloween candy from like 3 years ago, but you better believe the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups get eaten first. 😉
I put together a fun recipe for rice krispy star wands that I hope you enjoy! This is my favorite type of recipe since I can get the kiddo’s in on the decorating and it keeps them entertained while I finish up the rest of the party decorating. I hope you love them!
- 1 bag of white chocolate chips (8oz)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 10oz bag of marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice cereal
- Sprinkles of your choice (Whatever you have on hand works great! I sometimes try to go with the party theme colors)
- 8" white candy sticks (I buy these here)
- In large saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Add all the marshmallows and stir it around until they’re all melty and gooey. Remove the saucepan from heat.
- Add the 6 cups of cereal and stir until well coated
- Pour the mixture into a well greased 9x13x2 dish
- Using a spatula, wax paper, or plastic knife press the mixture into the dish until it is firmly packed. And when I say firmly, I mean FIRMLY! In order for these to stay on the sticks you’re going to want these to be nice and compacted.
- Let them cool in the 9x13 pan, then use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut out the star shapes. I like a 4" size, but use whatever makes you happy!
- While they're cooling down pour the bag of chocolate chips into a microwave safe dish and slowly microwave until melted. I do 20 second intervals for about 2 minutes, stirring them in between.
- Place the shapes onto a wire rack and drizzle melted chocolate chips over the top
- Immediately sprinkle with sprinkles so they stick in the melty chocolate before it hardens
- Let chocolate completely dry and harden, then poke the stars onto the candy sticks.
- Stand them up in a jar, or place them on a pretty plate atop the dessert table!
Get creative and use different shapes for different themes – imagine a cute dinosaur or even your child’s name! Either way, have fun. And definitely save an extra or two for yourself to enjoy after the crowd leaves and you can unwind after the party!
Photography credit: Noelle @ThePenandPiper